XD-05 Plus suddenly stopped working, PROTECT on display

Home Forums Ask your question XD-05 Plus suddenly stopped working, PROTECT on display

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi, everything worked just fine until Sunday, the device was recognized in Linux and Android (through USB Audio Player Pro) and sound was correctly reproduced.
    Then, since yesterday the device has suddenly stopped reproducing any music: it’s still recognized by the streaming device (PC/phone) and the music player starts just fine, but there’s no music coming out from the headphones.

Here what I tried (XD-05 Plus fully charged)

• Connected to Linux OS via USB A-to-C cable (the same cable that worked until the day before) –> recognized and player working, but no sound from the headphones
    • Connected to Android via USB C-to-C cable included in the package –> recognized and UAPP working, but no sound from the headphones
    • Connected to another Android via USB micro-to-C cable included in the package –> recognized and UAPP working, but no sound from the headphones
    • Borrowed a Windows 10 PC and connected via USB A-to-C cable (the same cable that worked until the day before) –> recognized and player working, but no sound from the headphones
    • FInally, I tried connecting the XD-05 to another amplifier through the Aux Out port with a jack connector –> sound is produced but is extremely distorted

Also, whenever I turn the volume knob past 12 o’clock a message “PROTECT” appears on display, when I turn the volume down before 12 the display blacks out and the device disconnects shortly.

Can you please assist? The onyl thing I did between Sunday and Monday was charging the XD-05, using the same charger and sample cable as in the past 3 months. I’m now worried that something broke inside.

Thanks

xDuoo OfficialxDuoo Official
    Senior Moderator

Hello, can you open it to check if the op amp (OPA162) is broken or loose? Do you have any other OP AMP chip in your family that you can try to replace

Participant

Thanks for your response. Yes, I have a spare opamp which came with the xd-05, I’ll try as soon as possible.

One question, which side am I supposed to unscrew, front or back?

Senior Moderator

Just unscrew the front four screws to pull the board out

Participant

Ok, I tried the spare chip but then the unit goes on “PROTECT” as soon as it’s turned on.

I have uploaded some pictures with the original and the spare op chip: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1TEQTrWmqNEKTs2zffWCgDa-aZpFZHVwE

Let me know what else I can try, thanks

Senior Moderator

Hi, I have seen your picture, there are two mistake: 1. Your op amp chip (opa627) is installed reversely, side with groove should face the white relay. 2. The OPA627 is a single channel amp chip, which cannot be inserted in this position. you should insert two opa627s  on both sides, Or you find a dual channel op amp chips to insert in this middle position

Participant

Thanks, I installed 2 opa627 single chips together in 2 different positions but the result is the same, PROTECT as soon as the amp is turned on. As last resort I can buy a new dual chip and try again, will this be compatible? https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/composants-electronique-aop/burr-brown-opa627-dual-opa-with-support-unit-p-8434.html

Shipping will take approximately 2 weeks, then I can revert. Do you think it’s worth trying?

Senior Moderator

Hi, yes, the chip which your link  is compatible.

But if you have replaced two opa627s, still show PROTECT, I think it is the problem of circuit board, needs to be sent back for repair

Participant

I’ll try with another chip just to be 100% sure the chip is not the culprit. I’ll revert when I have it delivered for testing. If it turns out the issue is the board, can you advise how I can proceed?

Senior Moderator

Hi, if it is issue of the board, can you send it back to us for repair?

Participant

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, I could send it back for repair, standard delivery to China would be between €15 and €22. Would you have to pay import taxes to receive the item from Europe?

Anyway, I’ll get in touch as soon as I have a new chip to test, hopefully no more than a couple of weeks.

Senior Moderator

Hi, it doesn’t matter, we will pay the import taxes.

waiting for your news

Participant

Hi, I tried with a brand new op amp chip and the result is unfortunately the same, so I guess the problem is with the board. How can I contact you in private to agree on the details to send the unit back for repair? thanks

xDuoo officialxDuoo official
    Keymaster

Hello, can we contact you via the email you registered in this forum ?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.